By 1901, Geelong Gallery had relocated to a new home. After a few short months at the Geelong Town Hall, the collection was moved out and into a new site. According to reports from the Geelong Advertiser, Geelong Gallery was moved due to the lighting at the Town Hall being ‘altogether unsuitable for their purposes'.
The Geelong Art Gallery Association debated between Gordon College and the Geelong Free Library as their new premises. Gordon College was their first choice, but the space was required for lessons, so the collection was moved to the Geelong Free Library.
Built in 1858 as the Chamber of Commerce, the Free Library was located on Moorabool Street, but was demolished in 1955. It was located roughly where Victoria House is today, in-between the K-Rock radio station and the Westpac Business Bank.