In 1947, Geelong Gallery welcomed many new additions to the permanent collection as well as popular works on loan from other galleries.
One of the loaned works was St. Francis by Jusepe de Ribera, a famed 17th century Spanish painter, whose works are known for their striking interplay of shadow and light. According to our 1947 annual report, this work’s historical nature made it a favourite among locals.
The F E Richardson Prize for watercolour returned in this year, and the prize went to Australian artist Eric Thake for his work Looted house, Darwin.
Also in this year, the J H McPhillimy Prize for oils was reinstated after being delayed for a few years after the war. The winner of the prize was Australian artist Harley C Griffiths for his work The studio.
The studio depicts a woman seated in the controlled light of an art studio. This work highlights the often solitary and intimate act of painting, with Griffiths acting as a rare observer of an artist poised to make her first mark upon a fresh canvas.