The National Wool Museum was established in 1988 as Australia’s only museum to comprehensively survey the history of wool.
Geelong has long been known as a hub for manufacturing, with its railway and shipping routes helping shape its nickname ‘Pivot City’. Many woollen mills operated out of Geelong, the earliest being established in 1868.
The bluestone building housing the National Wool Museum was formerly the Dennys Lascelles Wool Store, built in 1872.
Pictured is Shepherd and sheep by Ernst Meilsner created in the late 19th century and acquired by Geelong Gallery in 1939.